We're so excited to see you in Santa Cruz! Please find a detailed list of instructions in this PDF Arrival Information download and how to register for the conference and your housing. The document is filled with other information about staying on campus, meals, laundry, internet, recreational facilities, and more.
UCSC requires of all conference participants to sign a waiver. We will have copies of the waiver to sign at the registration table, or you can print, sign, and bring the signed downloadable PDF form with you to save time at registration.
We wish you happy traveling and look forward to seeing you soon!
Santa Cruz is within driving distance of three major airports, including San Francisco International (SFO), Mineta San José International (SJC), and Monterey Regional (MRY). SJC is the shortest distance from the campus.
By Public Transit
While public transit is not the fastest way to travel, we recommend taking buses/trains, as they are the best way to avoid the horrendous traffic in the bay area! Once in Santa Cruz, local buses run every 10–15 minutes between downtown and the campus, and it is fairly easy to get around without a car (not to mention ecofriendly).
- From SFO Airport, take the Bart train (Pittsburg/Bay Point – SFIA/Millbrae) toward San Bruno (4 min). Then take another Bart train (Richmond – Daly City/Millbrae) toward Millbrae (6 min). Walk about two minutes to the Caltrain Millbrae Station. Ride the Caltrain to Diridon Station (about 1 h). From Diridon Station, board the #17 bus toward 17/Santa Cruz Metro and ride to the Santa Cruz Metro Center on Pacific Avenue (1 hr). Travel time: ~2 h 40 min; cost: $18.65.
- From SJC Airport, walk to Terminal B, and take the #10 bus toward Caltrain Santa Clara Station (10 min). Ride the Caltrain to Diridon Station (9 min). From Diridon Station, board the #17 bus toward 17/Santa Cruz Metro and ride to the Santa Cruz Metro Center on Pacific Avenue (1 hr). Travel time: ~1 h 30 min; cost: $10.25.
- From MRY Airport, take the #56 bus to the Tyler/Franklin parking garage (21 min). Then take the #78 bus towards Santa Cruz Express (1 h 35 min). Travel time: ~2 h 45 min; cost: $6.00.
Once you’ve arrived at the Santa Cruz Metro station, there are several local buses that can take you to the UC Santa Cruz campus (buses #10–20), running approximately every 10–15 minutes from 6:25 am – 12 am on weekdays and 7:00 am – 11 pm on weekends. One-way fares are $2 cash; day passes are $6. View and download the UCSC Metro Service schedule here.
By Car and Carpooling
Santa Cruz is easily accessible from major highways. Avoid rush hour traffic if you can, especially if you’re coming from San Francisco or San José.
Carpooling and public transit is a way of life in Northern California. Check back in this area: we will be posting links to carpooling information as we get closer to the Conference.
- From SFO, take Route 101 south, then Route 85 south to Highway 17 south, which will take you over the Santa Cruz Mountains to the coast. Then follow Route 1 north to Santa Cruz. Estimated travel time: 1 h 6 min (without traffic); distance, 62 mi. https://goo.gl/maps/jm1Nu1eZjp62
- From SJC, take Interstate 880 south from Airport Blvd to Highway 17 south. Then follow Route 1 north to Santa Cruz. Estimated travel time: 40 min (without traffic); distance, 34 mi. https://goo.gl/maps/duL2efhGKH92
- From MRY, follow Route 1 north along the edge of Monterey Bay until you get to Santa Cruz (44 mi, 48 min without traffic). https://goo.gl/maps/tw6wMcs166z
- From Southern California, take Route 101 north, Route 156 west, and Route 1 north. Follow Route 1 north to Santa Cruz.
- From Northern California, take Route 5 south, Route 80 west, Route 680 south, and Route 280 north. Then take Highway 17 south. Follow Route 1 north to Santa Cruz.
Once you’re in Santa Cruz on Route 1, follow the highway as it turns into Mission Street. Turn right on Bay Street and follow it to the campus entrance.
Here are some links to local shuttle services San Jose Airport (SJC) and San Francisco Airport (SFO). Prices range from $40 -$125, one way. Some of these rides cost the same for multiple people, so the fare can be split:
Parking on campus
Parking permits are included with housing and will be provided at the registration table. Commuters can purchase Parking permits at the Conference registration table. A copy of the UCSC parking map can be downloaded here.
Getting around the campus
Most conference events will be within comfortable walking distance from the dorms/apartments and the dining hall. UC Santa Cruz also provides a free on-campus shuttle service, which circulates throughout the campus daily.
Getting around Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Metropolitan Transit District’s “Metro” buses can take you from campus to downtown or the beach (buses #10–20), running approximately every 10–15 minutes from 6:25 am – 12 am on weekdays and 7:00 am – 11 pm on weekends. All metro buses are wheelchair accessible, and have front loading racks for bikes. One-way fares are $2 cash; day passes are $6. View and download the UCSC Metro Service schedule here.